Re: Re: Dedicated MH Roller Replacement

From: Doug Jefferys <dougj_at_hwcn.org>
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 14:16:10 EST

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Jess Askey wrote:
> "Ozdemir, Steven S, GOVMK" wrote:
> >
> > I've already installed a Tempest spinner, and I've had about the same
> > results as one of the other posters mentioned. It's slow and tough to play
> > MH. My understanding is that the Tempest encoder wheel is the culprit.
>
> You can also change the logic level of the 'resolution' pin on the
> LETA chip. If you look on the schems, there is a pullup resistor to
> that pin with a non-installed jumper to ground as well. If you jumper
> that baby, viola! Much more sensitive spinner!! :-)

Interesting... I've reported a couple of times about my attempts to
get an MH boardset running off a Tempest spinner.

What I saw was a spinner that ran correctly for the first few seconds,
and then started to decrease in responsiveness over the next 30-40
seconds. By the time the Major reached the space station, no amount
of spinning the wheel would move him. The board itself was tested by
trusted parties and found to be good. The problem was clearly in my
wiring.

The phenomenon bore a remarkable resemblance to the time curve of a
discharge of a capacitor through a resistor.

I believe you *may* have solved something I've wondered about for several
years. I'll report back if I learn anything more useful.

Later,
Doug.

--
 dougj   |