Re: Re: Dedicated MH Roller Replacement

From: Jonathan Koolpe <jkoolpe_at_itsa.ucsf.edu>
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 15:02:18 EST

>On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Jess Askey wrote:
>> "Ozdemir, Steven S, GOVMK" wrote:
>> >
>> > I've already installed a Tempest spinner, and I've had about the same
>> > results as one of the other posters mentioned. It's slow and tough to
>>play
>> > MH. My understanding is that the Tempest encoder wheel is the culprit.
>>
>> You can also change the logic level of the 'resolution' pin on the
>> LETA chip. If you look on the schems, there is a pullup resistor to
>> that pin with a non-installed jumper to ground as well. If you jumper
>> that baby, viola! Much more sensitive spinner!! :-)
>
>Interesting... I've reported a couple of times about my attempts to
>get an MH boardset running off a Tempest spinner.
>
>What I saw was a spinner that ran correctly for the first few seconds,
>and then started to decrease in responsiveness over the next 30-40
>seconds. By the time the Major reached the space station, no amount
>of spinning the wheel would move him. The board itself was tested by
>trusted parties and found to be good. The problem was clearly in my
>wiring.
>
>The phenomenon bore a remarkable resemblance to the time curve of a
>discharge of a capacitor through a resistor.
>
>I believe you *may* have solved something I've wondered about for several
>years. I'll report back if I learn anything more useful.
>
>Later,
>Doug.

You might also talk to Scott Evans (Thomas43@aol.com) about this issue...I
bought a Major Havoc from him (Space Duel conversion) with what I'm pretty
sure is a Tempest spinner (that is correct, Scott, isn't it?:)) installed
that works just fine...no sensitivity problems at all.

Jonathan

Jonathan Koolpe
Staff Research Associate
University of California, San Francisco