Re: V: DVG Multigame

From: Mark Shostak <shostak_at_directlink.net>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 11:30:40 EST

>Of course, buying one from Clay takes $100 out of your pocket.

True. However, doing it yourself takes a lot of time out of your
<fill in blank> (family, personal life, etc).

>Doing it yourself and documenting everything for others gives you the joy of
>figuring it out, saves money, and gives a small amount of fame (not that
>Neil needs the fame w/ EMU and Retrocade).

Yes, I agree. That's the difference between doing it for a hobby
and doing it for profit. If you do it yourself and document it for others,
than other people can profit from your effort. If you're worried about
this, than you keep your information secret. Cliff made the ESB hack,
and Clay turned around and sold it. Cliff wasn't doing it, so...

>Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Clay.

I'm not Clay and I can't say why he makes the choices he does.
To date, he hasn't "published" his work, which implies there's
an investment/profit motive. That's fine, especially if you're
looking for a turn-key system. Hobbyists, on the other hand,
may find it frustrating, not being able to get closer, or at least
understand how the h/w and s/w in their games works.
Just like when we gripe about the "new" (late '80s) games, not
shipping with schematics.

Would you publish *your* work, if you were trying to make a profit?
Remember, it takes money to buy tools, parts, etc..