Re: DVG Multigame

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 13:50:15 EST

>Now that you've peaqued our interest, what would be a good place (book, web
>site, etc) for someone to get started using PALs/GALs ?

I've had a few e-mails on this already, so I'll give a short answer here for
the archives.

For PALs/GALs I'd recommend getting the Lattice isp Synario System starter
kit (whatever the current implementation is). They give you a couple parts
and it has a pretty good "how to" section. Vantis' MACH Starter kit was
also very good (came with an experimentation board and "lessons"), but I'm
not sure of its fate now that Lattice=Vantis. I prefer the Vantis
environment for CPLD's over the Lattice one. Xilinx's Foundation system
beats 'em both, IMHO. Xilinx software used to really be a bugger, but
Foundation is a MAJOR step forward... Cypress has a really reasonably
priced VHDL/Verilog software package (Warp ~$99) and a good college-level
text that goes with it.

For PALs and CPLD's I like David Pellerin's "Digital Design using ABEL" (can
get it from Amazon) and it comes with a free copy of ABEL software.

We use Actel FPGA's at work-- they're kinda neat because they don't need to
be loaded from any external memory (anti-fuse), but they require a big-ass
custom programmer and are OTP, so I wouldn't recommend them for tinkering.
Xilinx parts are probably the easiest for the experimenter to get ahold of
since Digikey sells most.

-Clay