Re: Asteroids Multigame RFC...

From: Andrew Wilson <awilson_at_seanet.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 16:23:22 EST

        I don't know if I'm in the target demographic for your Asteroids
multi-game, given that I have an Ast. Deluxe. But if Neil's solution never
gets off the ground, I'd end up ponying up for an Asteroids PCB and your
multi-game.

        So:

>1) RAM based architecture (so games can be patched on the fly, new graphics
>loaded, new games written, etc.)

        Not terribly important, given people's track record for producing new
vector games (are there any out there, except for Vector Breakout?). If people
really wanted to write games for the Asteroids platform, they could do that
now, and sell ROM sets.

>2) Non-volatile RAM for high-score/settings saving

        This would be Very Nice. But probably not a critical factor in
determining whether to purchase it or not.

>3) POKEY Chip for Asteroids Deluxe sounds and I/O

        Seems required, but for me this doesn't matter. Given that I already
*have* Ast. Deluxe, I'd be happy with just an Asteroids/Lunar Lander multigame,
without the Ast. Deluxe.

>4) Analog->Digital convertor for Analog Thrust Controller input

        Realistically, I'd never wire up an analog thrust controller. I'd
rather just play with the buttons. Your two-button solution seems reasonable,
but I'd really rather just have one button that does 100% thrust. That way, I
can punch a single button when I need full throttle, or I can tap it repeatedly
when I want less thrust. Or you could still go with a two-button solution, but
have one button do 100%, and the other button do 50% for more fine-grained
control. I don't like to have to hold two buttons down to get full thrust.

                        Drew