Hopefully something simple:)...

From: Jonathan Koolpe <jkoolpe_at_itsa.ucsf.edu>
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 03:27:42 EST

Hi all!

Well, no sooner did I fix my Sinistar tonight than my Major Havoc started
giving me some problems:(. So I thought I'd ask the list for ideas. Mind
you, I'm not by any means an electrical engineer, but if it's something
not too complicated, I can usually figure it out.

Here is the problem:

The game has started to produce garbage on the screen, but only in quick
flashes (i.e. the game graphics are going along just fine, but then all of
a sudden, these flashes of garbled vectors start appearing). It is
intermittent, but it seems to be getting worse. I jiggled the game board
connectors a bit and even unplugged and then replugged the edge connectors
in, but this did not help.

My Tempest did this once many years ago and all I had to do was adjust the
interboard connector which solved the problem. I think the game was just
cold as I had gone on a trip and the heat to my house was off for a couple
of weeks (I lived in Idaho at the time and it was during the Winter so it
was pretty cold as you might imagine:)).

Anyways, any ideas you guys might have, please let me know. I have a
friend who can help me fix it, particularly if the problem is too
technical for me, but if I can do it myself and not have to disturb him
again, that would be great...Plus I do enjoy learning about this stuff:).

Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah...I don't know if this matters or not, but the game is a Space
Duel conversion...Like many of us, I can only hope to find a dedicated
one someday for a reasonable price:)!

Jonathan