RE: Asteroids Deluxe backlight

From: Mehrtens John-LJM071 <LJM071_at_email.mot.com>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 16:49:57 EST

Hiya all,

I have heard of inadequate lighting from the BLB lamps (Black Light, Blue
glass) for AD's, and that the full-spectrum Black Lights are appropriate.
These are the same bulbs used in Asteroids and behind graphics in Tron. The
Sylvania part number is 21623 and the ordering abbreviation is F15T8/350BL.
The UPC Code is 046135216237. You can purchase these from a local
lighting/electrical warehouse (Not the Home Builder/Home Depot type of
place) for around $12 each. Prices may vary (some places charge $8.. it all
depends. Retail pricing, I've been quoted, is $54 for qty 6 and $218 for a
caselot of 24.

For more information about the BL's, check out the following links:

http://www.kecl.co.kr/bl.html
http://www.fluorimport.com/bll.htm

One can only imagine how much these companies want!

The ballast is the same as used for any F15T8 fluorescent (They span a wide
range of F15's I believe), and can be picked up at any stocked hardware
store (including Home Depot) for just a few bucks. You'll need a starter
socket and F15T8 compatible starter.

Good luck,

John Mehrtens