Asteroids Deluxe backlight (follow up)

From: Noel Johnson <nej_at_airmail.net>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 22:13:55 EST

Thanks everyone for all the great tips. I managed to locate a loose GE
F15T8-BLB bulb that I had laying around. I mounted it in the game and
noted what appears to be the original ballast and a Marvel brand FS2
starter. I thoroughly cleaned the angled piece of lightly smoked glass
that serves as the mirror for the monitor and also gently wiped down the
cardbard asteroid field bezel that lies behind it. Turned on the game
and only got a dim amount of violet light coming from each end of the
bulb. While testing the quality of the connections to each end of the
tube, I accidently knocked one of the four wires off that connect to the
ends of the tube. Oddly enough, I got a significant increase in the
amount of light coming from the bulb - with only *three* of the four
wires attached. I thought it might just be a static charge or
something, but the light remained on as long as I only had three of the
four wires connected. I am still not sure if I am getting enough
brightness, as the asteroid field is visible, but doesn't seem to really
"glow" like I hoped it would. Can anyone tell me what's going on with
the three wire connection and how bright should the asteroid field
look. (it's been quite awhile since I've taken the time to really look
at a fully restored Asteroids deluxe - to know how bright it should be).

Thanks again!
Noel Johnson