Quantum Cocktail?

From: Jon Raiford <raiford_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 15:03:42 EDT

Before I get into this, I should probably mention that there are 2 more working Quantums in this world. They are pcb's only, so if anyone knows of a cab or two anywhere...

Ok. After getting my Quantum working in my 25" MH cab (by swapping X and Y), I started a quest for inverting the x signal to correct the backwards text. While poking around the schematics, there was mention of an invert signal for both X and Y, but there was no way to select it - they were software controlled. That seemed odd since the game doesn't use such a feature and there was no dipswitch for it. We decided it could be a feature of a cocktail mode and started looking at the unused pins on the harness. As it turns out, two of the pins are +/- sense, the other four connect a second trackball. In the end, we severed the software's ability to invert and put a switch on the board.

So is there any documentation describing the second trackball interface or a possible Quantum cocktail mode? Or is it just a feature they probably just dropped when the game turned out to be a flop? Maybe they couldn't figure out how to have the 2nd player sign his/her name for the high score :)

Jon

Btw, I should thank Mark Spaeth for helping me with the repairs and for putting up with me when I had to deal w/ the 4 year old spraying talcum powder in his room and in his sister's room.