Re: It's alive 25" vector

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_idt.net>
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 22:36:01 EDT

> In another 5 years, if the switch to HDTV is forced like the current plan
> is, there may be a glut of cheap TV's on the market. Tubes forever ! 50 inch
> Tempest !

Dont hold your breath, there will be cheap downconverters available.. But
there will definately be a lot of junk TVs out there. Considering the
average life of a Thomson (RCA, GE, Proscan, Magnavox, Philips) TV is
about 3 years :)

Unfortunately most of the new sets do not use convergence rings any
longer. They now use ferrite rings and the convergence is "programmed"
into the ring at the time of manufacture. It cant be changed and I doubt
you can remove the ring without breaking the neck.. Better TVs now have
dynamic convergence. Instead of ferrite or convergence rings there is
another small yoke for convergence. Either way you cant win using newer
tubes. Its just junk.. I guess you could try to use some older rings on a
CRT that had dynamic convergence, since you can remove both yokes easily.
Besides any TV that uses DC should have a damn good (and large) CRT
(probably be 2-3 years before those show up junked though).

There ARE and will for a while be a surplus of CRT projectors out there.
Most of the projectors are getting near the end of their useful life are
are being replaced with easier to maintain LCD or DLP projectors.. I'm
planning on trying to build a vector projector sometime using an old
BARCO analog chassis CRT projector.. Its going to be a hacked up mess
using 3 amplifone deflection boards, but it will have a 150" screen :)

There really is no way to hack a rear-projection TV into a vector
projector, The convergence is far too critical. Front projectors are the
way to go and should work pretty well.. The bigger the screen, the better
the convergence will be (since the CRTs dont have to be angled in nearly
as much) ..Bonus!

Jeff