Re: It's alive 25" vector

From: Aaron Howald <Ahowald_at_bilbo.w-link.net>
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 03:43:51 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Anderson" <mayday19@idt.net>
To: <vectorlist@synthcom.com>
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: VECTOR: It's alive 25" vector

> Unfortunately most of the new sets do not use convergence rings any
> longer. They now use ferrite rings and the convergence is
"programmed"
> into the ring at the time of manufacture. It cant be changed and I
doubt
> you can remove the ring without breaking the neck..

Worth noting... RCA and GE sets have the yoke bonded to the tube, it
cannot be removed!
The programmed rings can be cut off though...

>Better TVs now have
> dynamic convergence. Instead of ferrite or convergence rings there
is
> another small yoke for convergence.

Larger tubes use this, along with dynamic foucus

>Either way you cant win using newer
> tubes. Its just junk..

A shame-newer tubes have better contrast and foucus-usually!

>I guess you could try to use some older rings on a
> CRT that had dynamic convergence, since you can remove both yokes
easily.
> Besides any TV that uses DC should have a damn good (and large) CRT
> (probably be 2-3 years before those show up junked though).
>
> There ARE and will for a while be a surplus of CRT projectors out
there.
> Most of the projectors are getting near the end of their useful life
are
> are being replaced with easier to maintain LCD or DLP projectors..
I'm
> planning on trying to build a vector projector sometime using an old
> BARCO analog chassis CRT projector.. Its going to be a hacked up
mess
> using 3 amplifone deflection boards, but it will have a 150" screen
:)

Oh please post pics when done!

I want to use a super hi-res computer monitor tube but they are still
too expensive in a large size...

Aaron Howald
ahowald@w-link.net