Re: Searching For Parts??

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 21:31:02 EDT

>Just found out about this, so if you know about it, then exqueeze me.
>Dowload the client, and it does E parts searches...very cool.
>
>http://www.partminer.com

One thing to watch out for-- no matter what you try to search for it always
seems that www.partminer.com has it. After contacting them though, they
don't *really* have them available, they just think they can get them.
(They keep a "second" list of suppliers that the database doesn't show you--
they take what you want and source it from their (private) list and resell
it to you at a higher price.)

Trivia: You used to be able to just type in any gibberish and Partminer
would always have it "available". www.findchips.com has/had the same
problem-- some distributors (Arrow comes to mind) figured out that they
should always return an "available- call for quote" regardless of the query.
  I think the findchips guys blacklisted them for a while and they're
playing nice now though.

(It *was* kinda fun to type in "XYZ-*obscenity*-1234" and have them be
"available" from a few vendors though. ;-)

-Clay