Origin of "Flyback"

From: John Mehrtens <John_at_Drag-Net.com>
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 18:20:59 EDT

It's definitely a Raster-originated definition, though the "Line Output
Transformer" makes more sense by definition.

Samuel M. Goldwasser's PHENOMINAL sci.electronics.repair FAQ site
(http://www.repairfaq.org and, more specifically,
http://fribble.cie.rpi.edu/~repairfaq/REPAIR/F_flytest.html) has this to
say:

-----

"In the U.S. (possibly all of North America), the transformer that generates
the high voltage in a TV, monitor, or other CRT based equipment, is called
the 'flyback' or 'flyback transformer'. Most everywhere else in the world,
it is either LOPT (Line OutPut Transformer) or simply LOT.

The term 'flyback' probably originated because the high voltage pulse that
charges the CRT capacitance is generated by the collapse of the magnetic
field in the core of the transformer during the short retrace period - when
the electron beam in the CRT 'flies back' to the start of a new scan line.
The flux in the core changes slowly during scan and is abruptly switched in
polarity by the HOT turning off and damper diode turning on during this
flyback or retrace period.

Many off-line switchmode power supplies and DC-DC converters are also of the
'flyback' type with energy transferred to their output circuits mainly
during the same time in the cycle - but there is no CRT involved and their
high frequency transformers are not generally called flyback transformers.

LOPT and LOT derive from the fact that it is the line scan circuit that is
involved and the transformer is in the output stage.

I still think flyback is much more quaint! :-).

Of course, others have their own definition:

(From: Sam Riner (riner@inet2000.com)).

When I was about 12 I touched the wire coming from the FBT on the picture
tube, this was a BIG floor model TV, and I flew about five feet backwards. I
know this isn't the real history for the name but for many years I believed
it was."

-----

This is a site I highly recommend to those who are beginners, all the way up
to those who are experts. Simply amazing.

I hope Samuel doesn't mind me posting this snippet!

Cheers,

John