BZ overlays REPORT

From: Kev <mowerman_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 11:08:22 EDT

Tom sent me a free set of color sheets for me to try & provide a report to
the group. I still would like to supply photos but I am waiting for the
camera to be returned.

I needed new color sheets for my Battlezone upright as I managed to ruin my
old set try to clean them.

The new set of color sheets arrived in a battered Priority mail box. The
box was even punctured. The 2 color sheets were slightly wrinkled and had
stuck to one another at one of the glue spots. I discussed this with Tom
that a better shipping method needs to be found. I suggested a rigid tube
but Tom mentioned problems with those too.

The 2 sheets were easily parted with no damage.

The colors are very close to my 20 year old originals but the new color
sheets are much thinner & more flexible.

The color sheets have adhesive applied to left & right spots of one side.
These adhesive spots are covered with a protective mask.

I removed the front face (periscope) from my BZ for cleaning, blub
replacement & new color sheets.

I cleaned & dried the monitor, removing all old tape residue.

Next I took the green color sheet, cleaned it on both sides with a light
mist of windex. Dried it. I did not remove the adhesive covers at this
time but just positioned the green color sheet on the monitor face &
observed the mirror. In the mirror you will be able to see the green color
sheet & see the dividing artwork that separates the "Tank Zone" area from
the "Radar screen" area. The green color sheet should not cover any of the
open areas in the Radar screen area. Remember everything you view in BZ is
from the mirror.

Next I cleaned & dried the red color sheet & placed it in the Radar screen
area, again not exposing the adhesive but just as a dry run.

I did not overlap the red & green color sheets but butted them against one
another.

Happy with the placement, took the green color sheet, removed the 4 adhesive
covers & placed the left side of the green color sheet on the monitor. I
stretched the color sheet to the right, watch my alignment & tacked down the
right side. The stretching is only to provide a close fit with no wrinkles
or bubbles, it does not involve much force!

Repeat with the Red color sheet.

At first I was a bit concerned with the wrinkles that my color sheets had
due to shipping mishap. The wrinkles were still somewhat visible after
installation as I looked at the color sheets on the monitor face before
replacing the periscope. After reinstalling the periscope you will not
notice the wrinkles unless you look directly upon the monitor, not at the
mirror, and then you need to be looking for them to notice them.

The thinner material was a bit easier to work with and does not appear to
have any problems. I have had this in for about one week, the game has been
powered almost all of the time 24 hrs a day.

Color in game play? Excellent, a rich green & red like it should be'

I will mention that at the moment I have a black bulb black light installed,
not the white bulb.

Total time about 25 minutes.

Thanks,
Kev
mowerman@erols.com

Tom did reply to my concerns about damaged shipment...

I plan on having the lighting company ship these to me flat from now on, and
I will NOT be shipping any out that are wrinkled. I contacted the post
office, and they recommended the large triangle box for posters, its MUCH
larger than needed, but I guess I'll use that until I find something better.
UPS Folded the tubes that the initial sheets were in, I had hoped USPS would
have handled them better in the box, guess not...