RE: Major Havoc Screen problems

From: Evrovski, Andrew <andy_at_cyberplex.com>
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 15:12:54 EDT

 OK, Folks! Firstly, I know it has been awhile since I received the advice,
but I had to wait for chips 'n' parts before I could proceed with my
debugging/fixing.

1) I found the culprit of what I outlined below. It was in fact that pesky
DAC08CN (Digital-to-analog convertor). The bugger was on the fritz and was
causing all my scaling to blow up (ie. I could not use the pots to shrink
the screen nearly enough to bring it back to displayh fully in the monitor)
AND it was causing jumping. THis jumping was when the screen was changing
ie (lander is landing and the ship expands - the screen zooms in on the
ship) it was jumping to each frame as if it was missing frames instead of
being nice and smooth. And when you are in the screen to shoot the aliens a
'la isometric Galaga, those ships would jump around missing frames.

Of course, after a little schematic reading, turns out that the above DAC is
responsible for handling the linear scaling. Duh! I pulled that baby out,
slipped in a cool little socket, shoved another one of the above DACs in and
PRESTO! Game a working like there is no tomorrow. Fantastic

2) The other board that I looked at that had no video but was essentially
"playing blind" was due to those pesky little LF13201s. Darn little
buggers... I removed those guys as well, slipped in some sockets and pugged
in my recently purchased DG201ACJs and presto another one solved. Damn,
that's sweet.

3) I am still in the process of debugging a 3rd board that has no video. I
replaced all the items mentioned above (including the 6012s as well, but
still no go on the video...) A bit puzzled about this one. This one also
"plays blind". Gotta keep looking I guess.

As I said before, thanks to all for your help. If anyone has any
suggestions on number 3, let me know.

Cheers
Andy