CRCs, Sig Anal etc.

From: Phillip Eaton <phil_at_freedomprojects.co.uk>
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 18:58:45 EST

Hi All,

If anyones interested, I wrote an article about how the Atari CATBox
signature analysis works together with a Sig Anal emulator in MS QBasic
(with source code), which takes a ROM image and creates a signature. I got
interested after borrowing XY-Man's CATBox for a while.

The signatures check out with the Atari ones in their Sig Analysis guides.

It's at
http://www.freedomprojects.co.uk/siganal1.zip (MS Word with linked graphics)
http://www.freedomprojects.co.uk/siganal2.zip (MS Word with embedded
graphics)

If anyone needs QBasic - give me a shout - I'll mail it to you.

The article has the relevant circuits from the Catbox, pictures and the
code, and you are shown how the algorithm works to calc the CRC, and how the
counters instead of the processor to do the testing.

A long term project of mine is to re-create a CATBox-type device using a
64180 processor-based embedded computer (64180 is basically a Z80 with
memory paging, serial devices and other stuff built in) with an LCD and
keypad, coded in my favourite language - Forth! (After I've finished my
current project which is an Atari Centipede emulator written in Forth.) Any
other Forth guru's out there?

Comments on the article _greatly_appreciated_!!

Phillip Eaton (D-Type/Flip-Flop)
Tel: +44 (0) 1536 504434
Tel2: +44 (0) 1536 268424
Mobile: +44 (0) 7775 726366