RE: TECH: Need Tempest Help Please!

From: Evrovski, Andrew <andy_at_cyberplex.com>
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 01:15:10 EST

Ta-da! I fixed my squiggley letters. After socketting/testing about half
the chips on the board, taking it from working with quiggley letters, to it
spouting out bad continuous tones, to resurrecting it to Mathbox errors
(with no problems with mathbox), to figuring out that I screwed up traces to
vector RAMS and the LS245s, back to where I started (working but with
squiggely letters) I had a revelation. The vector scaling section of the
board has some transistors. It just hit me. Those bad boys may be the
culprit. Now I had thought of those a long (and I mean a LOOONNNGG time
ago), but I had seen that they had already been replaced, so I assumed that
the transisitors were ok (yes, the I made an ass out of you and me move) .
This time, I just looked at them and said to hell with it... replaced them
with "known" working good ones... and voila. Perfectly functioning Tempest
boardset.

Thanks to all the people that have helped me through all of my troubled
times.

Cheers
Andy