European mains wiring.

From: peter jones <highwayman2000_at_mail.ru>
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 19:58:36 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Rodger Boots <rlboots@cedar-rapids.net>
To: vectorlist@synthcom.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:19:50 -0600
Subject: Re: VECTOR: More transformer data.

> Until the advent of the latest monitors with switching regulator power supplies, monitors were either 100
> volts (Japanese) or 110-125 volt (USA).
>
> So, by definition, monitors used in Europe (240 volt, 50 Hz) would have to have transformers, if for no
> other reason to get the voltage down to what the monitor was designed for.
>
> (I've always wondered, is one side of the European power at a "ground" level? If so, do you also have 480
> volt single phase power available for heavy power needs? Over here we have 460 and 480 volt power, but
> it's mostly 3-phase.)

you say because we use 230v we have to use transformers,
yes BUT we dont have to use isolating types, if we were stupid or cheap then we could use an 'auto-transformer'
a kind of wire-wound resister!!!

in olden times the street-feed was the feed and the ground was exactly that - a spike driven into the ground, or using the incoming water-pipes!

now he have PME Primary,neutral-Earth where the Neutral is connected to the buildings earth conductor.
We cant use the water-pipes anymore because they are plastic!

each house in a street receives 230v - single phase.
this is split evenly from a 3-phase transformer supplying several streets.

3-phase is available if needed, both 230v and higher.

I hope that answers your questions.