Re: WG 19v2000 flyback sub?

From: Robert Bayes <RobertAB_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 14:48:38 EST

>If you get oscillation, but nothing out of the flyback (actually a HV
>transformer, as a flyback needs a yoke winding for it's operation-but
>that's another group (Rasterlist))) then I would take a close look at the
>driver transistor first, and it's connector.

Thanks, John, I have checked it to the extent my test equipment will allow
(DVM, scope).

>On the other hand, I have had those HV transformers that had loose winding
>assembly and the wires leading from the coil break at the solder terminals.
>You might be able to re-solder them if you bend the broken one out
>carefully, burn off the insulation, then add a tiny extension wire. I've
>managed to fix a couple that way. Oh, and then wedge in silicon glue to
>freeze the coil windings. Other folks might want to check this on their B&W
>vector HV transformers to make sure theirs aren't loose and do some
>preventative maintenance.

I removed the flyback and inspected it for broken connections as you've
indicated. All connections were sound. However, I still have a problem
determining the continuity of the HV secondary winding. I read
"Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Testing of Flyback (LOPT) Transformers" on the
web and it was ambiguous about measuring the flyback coil continuity.

If I cannot read a finite resistance (before the HV rectifier) and *any*
identifiable terminal on the flyback itself, I have a broken flyback -
right? Unless I'm missing something here, or took the wrong exit to the
Magic Kingdom, the HV secondary is open. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Where the anode wire physically connects to the core there is a small amount
of movement. Could this wire have worked itself loose? If so, what is the
likelihood of success in removing that epoxy, RTV or whatever it is coating
the transformer and resecuring the connection?

I really appreciate your help.

Robert