Re: WG 19v2000 flyback sub?

From: Robert Bayes <RobertAB_at_swbell.net>
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 01:52:10 EST

>Even if the HV secondary winding was open you should still get the lower
>voltages. Thus even if you get an infinite resistance on the HV lead you
>should still get the lower voltages as they are, AIR separate windings.
>Thus if NO output voltage at all, and the primary winding seems good, then
>I would be looking at the driver circuitry..

John, I guess this goes to show you that even a parrot can learn to speak
through endless repetition. I had totally forgotten that I told you there
was no screen or focus voltage. You're right, if the flyback winding was
open, it wouldn't kill the B+ or grid voltages. D'uh. I'll check to see
what's pulling down those voltages by removing the loads one at a time.

Incidentally, I checked the HV secondary winding on another known good
flyback and couldn't read continuity with any of the connections.
Obviously, the HV has another path to ground. Perhaps via that big
"capacitor" partly formed by the aluminized coating of the tube (yeah, I
know it's DC, but, it's high frequency and far from pure).

.one of Bob Parker's (Dick
>Smith Electronics in Australia) flyback/LOPT meters would be handy about
>now (not an ad exactly, but we as well as a few other folks sell them).
>Very handy to verify flybacks/HV Xformers.

Thanks for the reference, John. As you can see from this thread, Marc
Alexander has a method he's documented to test fbt's. [Marc, if you're
reading this, please email me the info to which you referred in your email.
Thanks a lot.]

And, thanks a lot to you, John, for, not the least of which, your patience.

Sincerely,

Robert "Birdbrain" Bayes