Re: Building a monitor tester?

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 19:41:37 EST

Hi Rodger!

A looked into using a soundcard as a vector generator a couple of years ago.

The problems I found were the same that you mentioned, no Z channel, no DC
coupling and too slow for true a true VG.

The Asteroids digital VG uses a sample rate of 6mhz, most soundcard peak at
48khz (a high end card might go up to 96khz).

I did do a web search then and found at least one person drawing simple figure 8
type patterns on a scope using a sound card.

If you just wanted to write test patterns, that might work. You would not draw
one point at a time, instead send the trace to the ends of the screen and let
the audio filters fill in the rest. I'm thinking the traces might not be very
straight though, without DC coupling, and distortions from the audio bandpass
filter limits. Might not be very useful for convergence tests, etc.

-Zonn