Re: Asteroids hack

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 11:26:24 EDT

>Oh, Clay! Just for you, WDC also has them in surface mount.

(I kinda like DIP when there's already a DIP socket on the board. ;-)

>First the good news, you can run them up to 14 MHz.
>
>Now the bad news, you need some DAMN fast memory to keep up.

Yeah, we ran with 45ns Flash on our Rockwell modems. Spendy though, and
that wasn't even full speed! You could use something like the Simtek nvSRAM
and just use that for program storage. (20ns)

The Rockwell stuff would wake up in "normal" mode so you could boot from
120ns memory, then you could flip some bits to "fast" mode. (Usually after
mirroring the Flash out to 12ns SRAM.)

Since the new WDC parts only take one clock phase and are fully static, you
could probably just feed your clock into a counter and a mux-- come up slow,
then flip a bit on an external latch to switch the clock source to the
faster rate. Boot at 2 or 4MHz, then kick it to 8MHz or something. Still
boatloads faster than the old 6502. Maybe just have a single /2 flipflop
that you can disable; boot at 4MHz and switch to 8MHz once the code is in
SRAM...

-Clay