Re: Asteroids hack

From: tom mcclintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 16:58:35 EDT

Ok, ok. This Lunar Lander hack was admirably not done by me. I have
trouble determining the ass-end of a PCB (they have ass-ends don't
they?). This Lunar Lander hack was found by Callan Hendricks here in
Dallas, but that's about all I know. There was an attempt to start the
board, but it gave no signs of life, so back on the self it went. There
are a number of empty sockets (EPROMs and a couple others) so I'm not
100% certain there shouldn't be a daughterboard of some kind on there.

While doing a little research I found those ads for the Lunar Lander
hack in the StarTech Journal. I suspect the two places selling the
'hack' didn't sell that many - especially when you consider you could
buy a slightly used Asteroids (working) in 1981-1982 for only a little
more than this Lunar Lander to Asteroids hack - $650. Adjusted for
inflation, that's about $1,100 in today's money. Huh?!?

I agree it would be much better (and most cost effective) for someone to
develop a multigame on an Asteroids or Asteroids Deluxe platform. But
out of curiosity, doesn't anyone on this list have one of these hacked
Lunar Lander boards, or any of the other hacks? Star Castle speed-up
kit?

tom