Re: Asteroids hack

From: Neil Bradley <neil_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 17:05:20 EDT

> Ok, ok. This Lunar Lander hack was admirably not done by me. I have
> trouble determining the ass-end of a PCB (they have ass-ends don't
> they?).

Some PCBs, like my Asteroids Deluxe board, has nothing but ass ends. It
even has grown a buttcrack!

> board, but it gave no signs of life, so back on the self it went. There
> are a number of empty sockets (EPROMs and a couple others) so I'm not
> 100% certain there shouldn't be a daughterboard of some kind on there.

I'm 99.9% certain there should be due to Lunar Lander lacking some of the
sounds that Asteroids has.

> While doing a little research I found those ads for the Lunar Lander
> hack in the StarTech Journal. I suspect the two places selling the
> 'hack' didn't sell that many - especially when you consider you could
> buy a slightly used Asteroids (working) in 1981-1982 for only a little
> more than this Lunar Lander to Asteroids hack - $650. Adjusted for
> inflation, that's about $1,100 in today's money. Huh?!?

Yeah. I can't believe some of the crap, like making the ship firing more
accurate is $75. Literally, that's changing a randomize percentage from
15% down to 0%. It's literally a one byte change in the code.

-->Neil