Re: Missing Battlezone voltage and Germanium diodes

From: tom mcclintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 21:13:50 EDT

Lewis,

Although it has been said many, many times, I can't stress enough that
you need to reflow all the solder joints on the Battlezone CPU and
mathbox. Sockets, connectors, caps - you name it. It will cure many
strange problems.

For example, I bought a working Battlezone, brought it home and I got
strange vectors on the screen, the CPU would occasionally reset. Next
month, spot killer is on, and nothing on the monitor. Flex the board,
self-test comes up, but no game. Evidence of RAM errors during self
test. Reflowed all the solder joints on the RAM, ROMs, CPU, POKEY, 2901s
and the interboard connector. Oh, and I also cleaned the edge connector.
Game works perfectly now. And that's the limit of my technical
expertise. :)

tom