Re: Game values

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 08:43:54 EDT

In a message dated 6/29/2001 6:30:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
aramos@ele-mental.org writes:

<< > I've noticed a peculiar influx of questions to me over the last 6 months
of
> people looking for the "classics"-- you know, like Mortal Kombat and the
> original Street Fighter 2. :-/ Seems there's maybe a new generation making
> their way into the scene... >>

     One problem that I have with calling the above 2 games "classics" - they
only had an earning potential for about one year. Put one on a route today,
and it might collect $20 a week from people playing it for the "nostalgia".
     HOWEVER, you put a Tempest machine in a decent location, and it's
earning upwards of $100 a week. And this is from customers of ALL ages
playing it. Not bad for a 20 year old machine that has true staying power.
Bottom line in my opinion - "violence enhanced" revisions of Karate Champ
can never hold a candle to the real vector classics that are good original
games.