Re: Arcade Renovations 'new' monitor

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 14:51:41 EDT

>-----------------
>Subject: Amplifone High Voltage Replacement and New X/Y
>monitors
>Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 04:35:37 GMT
>From: "Philippe Bourdon" <pbourdon@portone.com>
>Newsgroups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting
>

>HV Unit is the first in a series of XY monitor
>replacement parts with the second being a redesigned
>deflection board. Although the amplifone deflection
>board is a good reliable unit the new board will have
>some added features. Microprocessor controlled spot
>kill, deflection shut down after a few seconds if no
>input present, Built in screen tests and again a plug
>in replacement for the amplifone unit.

A microprocessor controlled spot kill w/built in test patterns is a good idea,
but unless the firmware is supplied (at least as object code) this looks like
another black box part that has no work around if it fails, like some of those
Sega parts. (I'd be interested in knowing what type of VG he will use to
generate the test patterns.)

The spot kill circuitry must also work during power up/down modes where the
danger of burning a hole in the phosphor is at it's greatest -- these are hard
things for a microprocessor to do, but not to hard with a little external
circuitry -- pretty much the same circuitry that would be there without the
micro.

Just some random comments, I don't think Philippe subscribes to vectorlist so he
probably won't see them here, but in general I wish him the best of luck!

Being in the midst of working on a PC->VG, I think a new X/Y monitor is a great
idea! ;-)

-Zonn