Re: Cinematronics questions...

From: <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 02:47:25 EDT

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:13:17 -0500, "Gregg Woodcock" <woodcock@sisna.com> wrote:

>Can I test a Solar Quest monitor as-is by driving it from a Space Wars (i.e.
>without any mods)? I don't care if the image is funky (improper Z); I just
>want to verify monitor board works.

This may or may not work. Each time the intensity bit is changed on Space Wars,
some random value, based on the last vector position will be latched as the
Z-intensity. If this results in intensities of blank, then you won't see much.
I've never tried this so don't know what would happen, but it shouldn't hurt
anything to try.

>I am assuming that all sound boards have the same I/O function and that any
>game can drive any other game's sound board but that incorrect sounds will
>be played. Is this a true (or safe) assumption?

It's true in that there are only 6 sound output lines, it's false that they are
mapped the same way. For some games each line plays a sound (though the high /
low logic is different for different sounds/games). For more complicated games
the output lines are used to control a clock/data interface. For these games
you won't hear all the sounds (or you might not be able to turn them off!).

>Did you know that the masked PROMs can be put in upside-down for over 2
>minutes and get 200 degrees or so and STILL WORK? It is true!

Really how about 4 minutes? ;-)

-Zonn