Re: Snap,crackle, hopefully not pop

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 01:07:46 EDT

In a message dated 7/1/2001 7:13:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
andy@cyberplex.com writes:

<< This may sound naive, but anyone tell me if it's the tube that is
 crapped if I hear the arcing? I mean the neck board, monitor board etc are
 OK (ie. no burnt fuses, components that I can see). Monitor start looking
 wavy as if the sync was off and then progressively got worse. >>

     Look VERY closely at the picture tube, ESPECIALLY around the neck and
near the heater. I had a tube in a Quantum that had a very slight crack in
the neck (it was really hard to see until you really looked for it) and the
tube gave the same symptoms you listed. It almost sounded like water boiling
in a garbage can. I've seen this a few other times over the years, and my
theory is that someone may have turned the machine on when the tube was very
cold. The heater caused a hairline crack in the neck, and you then get the
"boiling" sound, and usually no picture.
     However, you mention that you are seeing a sync problem. This would not
be caused by the tube IMHO; you might want to also check your horizontal
width coil as well as the horizontal pot(s) and their curcuits for the
problem.