Space Duel and BZ durability ... was: "proud moment in..."

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 13:58:21 EDT

(Jeff's Star Wars story)
[...]
>Well, on sunday night, after 14 months, I finally took the game off
>location.
>
>Was it dead? Hell no, I never had a problem out of it. I just rotated it
>out due to low earnings ($10-$20 a week)

Just to add my own experience-- I brought my Space Duel and a Battlezone in
to work last year and finally took them out after about 6 months since we
were moving offices.

Anyway, both machines were running 24/7 (since nobody remembered to turn
them off!) without *any* incidents. Space Duel was even just a stock WG6100
without any mods!

I had previously repaired the BZ HV cage (new HV diode), but it too ran just
fine. (One of my programmers at work is *way* too good at BZ, so I stuck my
prototype BZ Supercharger in one day. The most perplexed look you'd ever
seen in your life when he figured out his super-tank timing didn't work
anymore. ;-)

During a lull I hooked up a couple of temperature dataloggers to the
Battlezone and tracked power supply and monitor temperature from the point
the machine was turned on. Pretty spooky. I'll have to look for the floppy
with the graphs-- those pieces get HOT!

-Clay