War of the Worlds marquees

From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 19:15:40 EDT

In an attempt to finish my Cinematronics War of the Worlds project (ok,
not quite finish, but getting close!) I’m having the marquee reproduced.
I had a friend completely redraw the artwork and I’m having some
duratran-like copies printed. These WofW marquees are exactly the same
size as Armor Attack marquees, as I think all WotWs were put into AA
cabinets. They are really nice continuous tone prints that are meant to
be sandwiched between two pieces of glass and then backlit. Basically,
the same things you see in a light box at the shopping mall or a
point-of-purchase display at McDonalds. The downside is they do not have
an infinite lifespan. I was quoted a two-year period of constant
backlighting before the colors would begin to fade. But, even if you
kept the game turned on and marquee lit for two hours a day, every day,
it would not begin to fade for 24 years. Not too bad, especially if
you’ve ever seen a Ms. Pac marquee… :) Oh, and direct exposure to
sunlight is bad for it as well, but I don’t suspect anyone would be
placing a WotW machine on location or near a south facing window (unless
you are in the southern hemisphere, right Paul?)

Anyway, I initially planned on getting a few made for myself and for
some friends but the proof samples I got this morning were way too cool.
As I mentioned, these are continuous tone so they look just like they
were silk-screened with spot colors – there is no pixelation at all.

The printer is charging me on a per-foot basis, and will quote me a
better price if I run a larger area at the same time. Currently the
price is about $25 to $30 each which is fine by me. I’m not looking to
try and get a massive quantity discount (and come on, how many people
actually want one? ;)

So, let me know if you are interested and I’ll shoot you a picture of
the proof samples. There are about 10 marquees printed on a long sheet
of plexi material. Very nice… I’ll see if I can get them up on my site
tomorrow.

Oh, and if anyone wants, I’m most likely going to do a run of Quantum
marquees, Zektor marquees and dedicated Major Havoc marquees. I’ve
already got the artwork and the printer seems to be up to the task.

tom