Re: Major Havoc Jumpers?

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_askey.org>
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 04:17:21 EDT

There are two jumper wires (typically blue wire) that take the bare X/Y signal
without linearity or size adjustments straight to the edge connector. They are
put there on Tempest/Space Duel/gravitar/Black Widow conversion boards because
the additional conversion board takes care of the pincushion correction along
with the size and linearity. If you look on your dedicated harness you will see
that there are no wires to these jumpered locations on the edge connector which
is fine because you have a dedicated cabinet.
  So to answer your questions...

1. Yes

2. They are there for Major Havoc boards that were factory converted to work
with an additional Tempest/Space Duel/Gravitar/Black Widow conversion board that
flips the X/Y and makes the necessary adjustments for the Wells-Gardner monitor
(pincushion) that is in the other cabinets. Major Havoc dedicated cabinets came
with the Amplifone monitor by default which does not have a pincushion issue and
does not need the additional circuitry.

3. I have schems for the Space Duel/gravitar Conversion board but you should not
need them. If you follow the XY size, linearity, BIP adjustment procedures you
should be able to get your monitor looking better giving that there is nothing
wrong with it. If your triangles have lots of concave or convex lines instead of
nice straight ones, I would start with the linearity adjustments and report back
to the list.

Have fun!!

  jess

Bret Pehrson wrote:

> I dusted off my Major Havoc dedicated the other day, and brought it back to
> life. While inspecting the main PCB, I noticed two jumper wires that are no
> longer connected. For the most part, the game appears to run fine the way
> it is (some of the DIP switch settings are not taking, and the triangle tube
> is displayed w/ warped lines).
>
> http://www.classicade.com/P1000057.JPG
> (2048x1536 @ 330 KB)
>
> I'm wondering the following: