Black Widow

From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 12:57:58 EDT

So I'm reading though some archived RGVAC posts and I discovered this
interesting question from Mark Spaeth regarding Black Widow:

"Ever notice that you can only move/shoot in 45 degree increments, but
in attract mode, it shows you shooting at weird angles off-axis?

I wonder if Black Widow was meant to use hall effect sticks..."

A little more searching reveals that Al had a chance to speak with Bruce
Merritt and discovered that the game was going to use analog joysticks,
and not 8-way as it was shipped because of incompatibility with the
Gravitar board set. Also, Black Widow was going to ship on it's own
board set, which had some enhancements (like a few extra features in the
vector generator) and instead was ported to Gravitar hardware to use up
the extra boards.

That would have been pretty neat!

Then as an aside, I just read from the 'Giant List of Classic Game
Programmers' about the possibility that Black Widow, currently credited
to Bruce Merritt, may have originally been developed at Taito America.
The Taito game had the same name, but was raster-based and not exactly
the same as Atari's version.

tm