Re: Atari color generator tidbits

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 14:12:01 EDT

"Christopher X. Candreva" wrote:

> This leads to the problem I had with my board, which I still don't
> understand:
>
> Fact #3: When one of the 3 color ouput 'latch' circuits fails, you will see
> a colored dot in the center of the screen corresponding to the one that
> failed. The intensity of the dot will reflect how must of that color should
> be on the screen.
>
> I don't understand why this so. Unless someone knows why can can explain it,
> I'm going to dig back into the schematics and figure this one out, because
> it is realy eating at me. The beam should still be deflecting, just not
> turning on that gun. Why would it be turning on when the beam was at the
> origin ?

Because the beam spends more time at the center of the screen than anywhere
else. Connect a scope to the X and Y outputs (using the scope as a monitor
without the Z input applied) and you will see that the very bright spot at the
center. This is because they start at the center, draw an object, return to
center, draw the next object, return to center, etc.