RE: Question about blackened edge connectors...

From: Bret Pehrson <bret_at_classicade.com>
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 01:07:04 EDT

This is common on most/all Atari PCBs that use the edge connector. Usually,
the problem is that over time you get a little oxidation on either the
ground pad or one of the 5/12v supply tabs. Not enough to cause an open,
but enough to increase the resistance. As a consequence, the voltage drops.
The AR PS senses this, and then boosts the voltage to compensate. Over
time, this will heat up and oxidize more, resistance increases, PS
compensates, repeat.. Sometimes the end result are pads that are completely
burnt up or the harness starts to melt.

To fix, you either need to repair or replace the damaged pad(s). You should
burnish them clean as opposed to sand -- sanding can remove too much of the
pad as well as scratch which leads to oxidation again. You also need to
inspect the connector and make sure that it clean. Note that the contacts
will lose tension over time and as they get hot -- it may be time to replace
the connector altogether.

With this type of problem, the sooner you fix it the less likely it is to
create a bigger problem.

Good luck, and have fun.

BTW: Did you grow up in Colorado?