Re: Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe

From: Werner Sharp <sharpw_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 12:43:59 EDT

Hi Andy,

I fixed one of these a while ago without cutting all the chips off. My
board had a reading of about 6.5 ohms if I remember correctly. I checked
the continuity in a variety of places and noticed there was a slighty lower
value in one row of chips. Something like 6.4 ohms in a middle row. It
took several chips, but one of the chips in that middle row was the bad
chip. You could try that and see if there's a difference on your board.

I think there's a technique with using a large amperage 5v power supply to
destroy the short (look for melting/flaming/exploding chips) but I've never
tried that one myself. (Clay told me about this one I think).

There's also some sort of instrument you can buy that tests for
shorts. Here's an example...

http://www.metermantesttools.com/products/SF10/SF10.asp

I've never used one myself so don't know how well they work.

-Werner