Re: Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe - Current Tracer for shorts

From: Marc Alexander <marc_at_wolfems.com.au>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 10:37:08 EDT

HP 547A Current Tracer

Ignore the insane price on this page, these can be had really cheap from
eBay or used test equipment shops..
I have one of these but haven't actually needed to use it yet! So I can't
comment first hand on using it for this problem.

They can be immensely handy, put the appropriate current in the track/node,
and follow it down where it goes with the little sense head, there's a
current sense intensity light in the head.

http://www.skolnik-tech.com/for_sale.htm

http://pdp-8.org/tools.html
HP 547A Current Tracer
“The HP 547A Current Tracer is a hand-held probe which enables the precise localization of low-impedance faults in electrical
systems. The probe senses the magnetic field generated by a pulsing current internal to the circuit or by current pulses supplied by
an external stimulus such as the HP 546A Logic Pulsers. Indication of the presence of current pulses is provided by lighting the
indicator lamp near the Current Tracer tip. Adjustment of probe sensitivity over the 1 mA to 1A range is provided by the SENSITIVITY
control near the indicator. The probe is self-contained and requires <75 mA at 4.5V to 18V, from any convenient source.”
I don’t use this very often, but when I need it, I really need it. It’s used for finding things like shorted input gates, stuck
tri-state buses and broken/shorted traces.

http://www.google.com/search?q=hp+547a
http://www.google.com/search?q=hp+current+tracer

Marc