Re: WG 6100 Deflection Board Problem

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 08:40:38 EDT

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:54:44 -0700, you wrote:

>Did you NEED to replace Q100 and Q101? I would return the originals. I
>suspect you have a bad transistor here...it is the negative half of the Y
>deflection circuit you should be checking. Or is that the Y? I get the two
>constantly mixed up. Let's see - X is the horizontal axis and Y is the
>vertical (skinny)...so that means on a Tempest that the X-Axis is across
>the now horizontal axis (normally vertical in TV's) and the Y-Axis is the

        Er... actually, as far as the monitor electronics are concerned, X is
always across the long axis (the horizontal axis on a normal, i.e.
"landscape-oriented" monitor), while Y is always across the short axis.
This is why you can put the same WG6100 in a TEMPEST or a SPACE DUEL and
still have it work. Vertically-oriented games like TEMPEST are either
programmed to draw sideways, or they have the X/Y signals swapped on the
connector going up to the monitor. (I forget which - I know raster games
"draw sideways", but swapping X/Y on a vector would seem easier...)

        So, if the right half of his TEMPEST is scrambled, he needs to be
checking his Y deflection circuits, not his X. :)