Re: Re: vector: 25" Amplifone tube DAG connector/spring?( story truth?)

From: Anthony Ramos <aramos_at_ele-mental.org>
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 15:21:40 EDT

 From Jed Margolin's "The Secret Life of XY Monitors" web page:

"By now everyone has heard the story of the Universally-Hated
Atari Executive who went down to Brownsville to visit Amplifone,
ignored requests not to smoke inside the building, and triggered
the fire sprinklers, ruining every Amplifone HV transformer ever
made.

"While there was never any shortage of Universally-Hated Atari
Executives, and while an incident of this type could have
happened, I have my doubts about it. For one, I didn't hear
about it until I saw it on the Web about two years ago, long
after I left Atari Games.

"The story I heard, while I was still at Atari, was that the
method used to make the HV transformers turned out to be
sensitive to humidity, and the first HV transformers to burn up
were the ones made during hurricane season.

"Very likely, the real story is simply that the potting material
used in the transformers was not up to the task.

On Friday, August 2, 2002, at 11:37 AM, Mills, Lewis wrote:

>> (Sorry about the long post but one of my pet peeves are urban
>> legends. I'm on a
>> one person mission to quash them all. ...and anything that
>> sounds like an urban
>> legend that gets in my way!)

Sorry, but you're pursuing the ultimate Quixotic quest: changing
human nature.

A noble cause, regardless... ;-)