Re: Zektor in action

From: Neil Bradley <nb_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 15:39:29 EDT

> > the monitors.
> So that begs the $64,00 question - will a newly designed deflection
> board for [insert name of your favorite vector monitor here] with a
> faster slew rate make more visually rich games possible? Or is there
> (a) another aspect of the monitor involved; or (b) are we at or near
> the theoretical limits in terms of slew rate for a vector monitor? I
> know in the multiple attempts at a new vector monitor design the main
> stumbling block is the yoke, but I don't recall what (if anything) was
> determined regarding the slew rate.

You're asking the wrong guy in this case. I tend to get very scared of
flyback transformers. ;-) Call it a desire to continue living or perhaps a
bit of paranoia, but Zonn and others most likely will be able to talk your
ear off about the pros, cons, etc... Not that I don't find it fascinating
(I do!), but if I were to make suggestions on how to build a better
monitor (or even speculate), we'd have no living vectorlist members. ;-)

> It would seem a natural compliment to Zonn et al.'s VG board to have a
> deflection board of sorts that could draw all these faster vectors.
> Better, faster, stronger.

It's my secret hope that the ZVG will rekindle the desire to see vector
games, and either someone ultra cool (like Zonn/Bill) will design a new
vector monitor with some excellent engineering behind it. From what I
gather from everyone that I've talked to, there is no such thing as a well
designed vector monitor. My father in law worked at Zenith and they
provided a lot of the components/tubes for the WG 6100 and he can't say
anything good about it. Apparently it was a total hand job from the
beginning, and coupling that with games like Tempest that overdrive the
X/Y rails into the monitor's transistors, that only made the problem
worse. At least the ZVG won't do that. It only goes slightly off the
screen - not to the point of transistor saturation.

In other words, monitors should last longer when using the ZVG.

-->Neil