More Monitor Problems (V2000 contrast)

From: James G Watt <kinetic-arts_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 20:26:17 EDT

Having given up on fixing the spot killer on my v2000 for the moment I
thought I'd concentrate on a more serious problem.

(thanks paul for the help up till now btw)

The contrast on this monitor appears to have gone - or at least only
work over a very narrow range. I can only adjust the monitor so the
vector construction lines are invisible by turning the contrast right up
and adjusting the brightness right down. When I do this you can hardly
see normal details like asteroids though.

I've changed out the game PCB to eliminate that as the cause of the
fault.

I've had all the transistors in the Z section of the circuit out and
they appear to test OK.

I've replaced all the electrolytic caps in the monitor.

I then tested the voltages being supplied to the vector section. This is
what I found:

Voltages on p500

pin manual actual
2 30 17
3 94.5 71

5 98 71- is this off enough to be causing the problem?
6 38 36

Anyone got any ideas on what the next step should be?

---
James G Watt
http://www.kinetic-arts.co.uk
Part of the Video Arcade Game Collectors WebRing.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.