TECH: WG 19v2000 Problems

From: Tom Baddley <tbaddley_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 21:33:33 EDT

I got the deflection board in today from Jess Askey (Thanks Jess!), and I've
replaced the missing components (Q502/R101/D708). Based on archived messages
that I've read on Deja, I used a strap to replace R101 (left R100 intact). I
also went ahead and installed a Bob Roberts 19v2000 cap kit with transisters
on my monitor.

I'm using my newly working Omega Race to test the monitor, so I'm working
with good vector output. When I first power it up, the spot killer flashes
very briefly, and the display comes alive. However, it's as if the
brightness is turned all the way up (I can see traces from upper left and
between letters as it draws the text, as well as a box outlining the
screen). Adjusting the brightness pot seems to have no effect on it. Shortly
after powering up (45 seconds or so), the display starts to go dim quickly,
until it's black. The spot killer light remains off, the heater on the tube
stays lit, and I can still hear deflection "chatter" as the game runs
through it's attract mode. I do hear a slight "whine" from the HV unit that
my other 19v2000 doesn't make.

Any suggestions? This is my first attempt to "re-build" a vector monitor, so
forgive me if I forgot to include any important troubleshooting information.
I've verified polarity and soldering of all caps, etc. that I've installed.
Also, the transisters are not shorted to the chassis. No smoke, pops or
arcing when I first powered up after replacing all of the parts.

One last note of interest. The attract screen is displaying on the monitor
in normal mode, rather than reversed video like my other monitor (due to the
mirror it uses). I'm simply unplugging the monitor in my Omega Race and
running the cable out to my new monitor.

- Tom
Wichita Falls, TX