FS: Sega Star Trek Project / Midway Omega Race - N. TX [long]

From: Tom Baddley <tbaddley_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 01:12:17 EDT

It's amazing how things ripple. An attack on a financial center in NY
directly affects a wireless communications guy in N. TX. My company just
"temporarily" shut its doors (for a "month or so") due to a delay in a major
contract we were expecting to close on this week. This means no paycheck
today, for two weeks I've already worked....and who know when the next will
come. My wife is pregnant (4 mo.) with our first child, and is obviously
more than just a little emotional about the situation. :-( I certainly can
empathize with the thousands of people who have suddenly found themselves
without a job to go to, either directly or indirectly due to Tuesday's
events.

Although my wife has asked me not to do this (she knows what these mean to
me), I'm in a position where I'm going to have to sell some of my beloved
projects...QUICKLY. I live in Wichita Falls, TX (approx. 100 miles NW of
Dallas, 150 miles SSW of OK City). I could possibly deliver the game(s) if
necessary for approx. $100 within 150 miles of WF, but I'd much rather have
you pick them up here (I don't own a truck, and I can't guarantee against
damage). NO SHIPPING, sorry (unless you want to make me an incredibly
generous offer to part these out).

Sega 1983 Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator G-80 UR Project $300 obo
    This game was fully working when I purchased it (as an Asteroids Deluxe
conversion). Monitor connector was plugged in backwards (by stupid me) and
blew either something on the XY pair ($10 last week on eBay) or the
deflection board (usually an easy fix). HV appears to be present, but no
deflection (dot in center when brightness turned up). G-08 rev03 color XY
monitor is complete and includes an un-installed Bob Roberts cap kit w/
transistors. VERY light ST burn on screen. Game boots up, playing the Star
Trek theme. I can coin up (using my AD coin door) and play the game blind.
The speech and sound effects appear to be working, and sound quite good.
[update: as of this afternoon 9/14, game powers up, but no audio is heard].
The game is installed in Sega G-80 Convert-A-Cabinet. This cabinet has had a
lot of work done to it, and is in very good shape. I wasn't able to save the
wood-grain laminate, so it is painted black. Not a professional job, but a
good solid cabinet that's not ugly to look at. Some minor scuffs from moving
it to TX last March. It would be easy to reapply laminate if you have a
router. The cab was originally a Eliminator, and later converted to a
Tac/Scan (then a Mania Challenge, ugh!). Included are the original Sega ID
Stickers, along with the one for ST. I have NOS unapplied ST sideart, but
both pieces are for the same side. I also have installed new T-molding,
except along very bottom. New locks, missing back door, needs new feet.
Marquee is in excellent shape. No monitor bezel or plexi. Hard to find
control panel is exclusively for G-80 cabinet, and has a very nice condition
original ST CPO with only minor cracking at the bends. No cp hacks. All
original buttons, optical encoder pcb and spinner are present. Complete ST
conversion harness uses fingerboard to attach to card cage. Does not have
coin mechs or counter wired in yet, and one mech is missing. Comes with
spare working power supply / audio amp and iso. transformer. Original Star
Trek Preliminary Owners Manual which includes all needed schematics,
including the monitor.Will throw in a 5lb fire extinquisher, since I never
needed to use it. ;-)

This was going to be my ideal platform to run Clay Cowgill's Sega G-80
Multigame (not included) ( see: http://www.multigame.com/sega_mul.html ),
since it's based around the Star Trek control panel layout. You would be
able to play Eliminator, Space Fury, Star Trek, Zector and Tac/Scan all from
the same cabinet. The monitor is mounted on a wooden frame with handle
cutouts. Remove 4 bolts, and it can be easily rotated for vertical games
like Tac/Scan. Bonus: Purchase entire ST project and get a Space Fury and
Tac/Scan marquee (both in great shape, and both fit the G-80 cab).

Bally/Midway 1981 Omega Race UR: $425 obo
    100% working. Looks, plays and sounds great! Midway's first and only
vector game. I just got this project together and working a few weeks ago.
It's been a blast playing it, particularly in the dark. I still have a few
details that I've not taken care of. The WG 19v2000 Monitor is in excellent
shape with almost no burn-in. Motherboard had battery removed early in life,
so NO ACID DAMAGE whatsoever on this boardset. Interior artwork and mirror
is in good shape (currently awaiting delivery of rear artwork piece). All
fixtures including blacklight are functioning, as are both coin mechs.
Chrome parts on coin door need some light work. No lock. Test switch is
missing (twist the wires together for test). Marquee and monitor bezel are
in fantastic condition. Lighted control panel marquee looks great. Cabinet
has been repaired and repainted. Needs a back door. Front kickpanel artwork
still complete and in pretty good shape (no tears, some fading), front
yellow paint is in perfect shape.. Has State tax sticker on lower front,
with 4 small screwholes where a plexi cover once was. Sideart is original
and has some scuffs and scratches on it, but is complete on both sides with
no rips or tears around edges. It also has some minor "crackling" like these
old vinyl decals do. I have left the artwork alone, and have not tried to
touch-up. CPO is in very good shape, but needs screws sanded/repainted.. Two
of the red lighted buttons are stuck, but does not affect gameplay. They
still light up, and can probably be fixed. Includes a spare complete
control panel also in good condition w/ spinner and buttons (including 4
working lighted w/ bezels) and cp harness. I also have the complete Omega
Race Parts and Operating manual that I can burn to CD if needed (.pdf
version*).

You'll notice that I'm nitpicking on all of the defects and problems...I
just want to be completely honest, and represent these as accurately as
possible.

I will take detailed pictures tomorrow, and post a link for viewing. These
will give you a better idea if you want to make a road trip or not. Contact
me if you are interested in either or both of these games, or have questions
regarding either.

Also for sale:

Midway Arch Rivals Kit - Includes tested-working complete boardsets
(modified JAMMA), two 49-Way Optical Joysticks (same as Sinistar) w/
harness, switching power supply, NOS Sideart (C+, punctures), NOS CPO (C+,
bends), hacked JAMMA wiring harness, instruction sheet for changing team
names, marquee from hell and CD containing Arch Rivals Kit Installation and
Operations Manual and full schematics package in .pdf format*.
Make me an offer. I'll ship this set, if necessary, for actual USPS Priority
Mail cost.

*I'm not selling these manuals on CD...I'm just offering these to help out,
if someone doesn't want to, or can't download them from the net. These are
readily available for download thanks to all the collectors / ops who took
the time to scan them in, page by page. Collectively, they have done a
fantastic job of preserving a piece of our history and have provided
collectors like myself with a valuable source of accurate information.

You can contact me at tbaddleyNO@earthlinkSPAM.net . Spam protection in
effect...not that it usually helps.

Thanks for reading this epic. If anyone knows of any openings in the N. TX
area for a Cellular/PCS Operations Manager or Project Manager (or site
aquisition..or..), please let me know. I've been on the field operations
side of wireless for over 14 years. This is my first layoff ever. I'm still
stunned.

- Tom

If you have read this far down, you must really be bored. What can I
say?...my father is a Baptist minister. I come by my long-windedness
honestly!