Re: TTL specs

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 20:29:42 EDT

74XX vs 74LSXX, 74XX takes up to ten times the drive current and provides
as mush as ten times the drive current as 74LSXX. Thus a 7411 is not always
a good sub for a 74LS11, unless the inputs to the 7411 do not drive
anything else. The outputs of the 7411 will easily drive whatever the LS11
drove.

The other difference is timing, the 74LSXX have a "snappier" response to
input signals, responding faster than the 74XX stuff. As I recall they also
have a slightly faster propagation throughput, in other words the data
flows faster through the IC.

So, I would tend to not replace 74LSXX with 74XX unless I was really sure
that the circuit doesn't care enough to matter.

John :-#)#