Re: TTL specs

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 20:32:23 EDT

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 18:36:26 -0500, you wrote:

>Once again I may be in over my head, this time with TTL ICs. On the Red
>Baron board I've been working on, someone has substituted a DM7411N for the
>74LS11 at J9. Philips or Signetics apparently made these chips, and the data
>sheet that covers both is at:
>http://www.freetradezone.com/dc_images/41/61/D0194161.pdf.
>The 7411 seems just a little slower than the 74LS11, and takes a higher
>supply current. Is the DM7411N an adequate sub for the 74LS11?

        A great deal depends on the circuit it's going into. (Are you sure
you're looking at the right specs, BTW? My databooks show the opposite,
speedwise; a "standard TTL" 7411 is a bit faster than a 74LS11, but with
higher current draw.) While you can _usually_ get away with this
substitution, it is possible to get into a race condition if another chip
down the line is expecting one signal from the 74LS11 and one from some
other gate to arrive simultaneously.

        Personally, I try to avoid mixing logic families if at all possible. :)
Nine times out of ten, it won't matter, but that tenth time will have you
tearing your hair out trying to figure out why it's not working...
"So I ask again: What was it you hoped to teach us? It occurs to me that
maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your hatred. If that's the
case, consider the message received. And take this message in exchange:
You don't know my people. You don't know what we're capable of. You don't
know what you just started.

But you're about to learn."
                --(Leonard Pitts jr., newspaper columnist, Sept. 12th, 2001)