Re: BZ monitor woes :-(

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 10:03:21 EDT

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Anthony Ramos wrote:

> Last night I fired up my BZ cabaret to burn-in a repaired boardset. An hour
> or two later, there was no picture.
>
> Thinking the board failed, I put my working set back in; still no picture.
> Then I noticed that, although the monitor still had yoke chatter and neck
> glow, the high-pitched whistling/hissing sound I usually hear was gone.
>
> Does this mean my HV unit is dead? If so, how do I fix it? I've never had to
> troubleshoot a B&W HV cage before. :-(

If you have neck glow, chances are you HV transformer is ok at
least. Most likely if its a problem with the HV unit, it turns out to be
the HV diode. You could verify the HV with a HV probe, but most people
don't have these (except us serious vector monitor repair nuts ;-))

Oh, and cracked header pins on the deflection board's 10 pin connector can
also produce this exact same scenario. Sometimes I forget to mention
these common fixes because whenever I have a vector monitor in my
posession, resoldering the pins, recapping the monitor, etc are standard
operating procedures.

--