Re: is any one???

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 11:17:16 EDT

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 galaga@zfree.co.nz wrote:

> So why not connent the vector AVG board. to the pc and use it. i have a
> starwars and a tempest which would be great to emulate my favorite games
> eg vectrex, Atari, sega's, etc... because mame could setup the lines and
> convert them to avg and then output them to the avg board.

Ah -- a Vector monitor video controller card for PCs.

Designing one has been discussed on this list many times. I don't think
simply hooking up to a game board would be practical though. THere aren't
generic inputs to the AVG section. The AVG is on the same board as the CPU,
so you would end up hacking directly into the board, picking up the data
path. By the time you did all that, you could design a board from scratch
with modern D/A converters probably much easier.

Hell, you could probably get away with using something like an Atmel AVR
microcontroller, and not even have to design an ISA/PCI card.