Re: Star Wars has malformed text

From: Anthony Ramos <aramos_at_ele-mental.org>
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 03:55:36 EST

on 17 11 01 20.39, David Shoemaker at davids@oz.net wrote:

> So I am now wondering if I do have some kind of char vector rom problem.
> Anyone know which is the appropriate rom?

It's very unlikely, judging from your description. A faulty char. ROM would
cause symptoms like all characters missing, or checksum errors in self-test.

> The area off effect appears to be the short diagonal lines in the chars. A
> B D M R W Y all are effected. The short diagonals just don't line up quite
> right.
>
> I have done the BIP adjustment and its fine. The larger char set does not
> exhibit this problem and none of the other graphics seem to be messed up.
> Just the small char set diagonals.

I have seen this on many, many Atari vector displays. I believe it mostly
has to do with the X and Y deflection amp circuits' vector start/stop
properties becoming dissimilar due to fatigue of components, the transistors
in particular.

-Anthony

--
Anthony Ramos________