Re: Dead Asteroids

From: Phil Morris <phil_at_morris0.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 11:17:39 EST

> Have you checked that the machine isn't in test mode ? In test mode there
> would be a cross-hatch pattern on the screen, and I think start is lit. I
> can't remember what the button test does, possibly you should hear tones
> when you hit the buttons.

Yes, checked that. Curiously enough it doesn't seem to matter whether it's
in test mode or not, I still have the player one button lit.

Is it a bulb or LED inside the player one/two buttons? If a bulb then maybe
the player two bulb has blown, so that's why that particular one isn't lit?

There's no audible response when I press any buttons.

> Any chance your have or can borrow a dual-channel o-scope with an XY mode
?
> That's the easiest replacement for a vector monitor for testing.

Not sure where I'd look for one to be honest - I'm in the UK.

Anyone here in the UK with one fancy a trip to Bristol? ;)

> I wouldn't power up that monitor until you are sure you have the board
> working.

I've completely disconnected it now so no power is getting to it.

Incidentally, there is a noticeable low hum coming from the PSU. Is that
normal?

Thanks for your help,
Phil