Re: Dead Asteroids

From: Phil Morris <phil_at_morris0.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 11:21:10 EST

Hi Mark,

> > Should I wait and try a known working Asteroids board that I have on
> > order, or look into seeing if there is a fault in the monitor circuitry?
>
> First of all, since this is a hacked Lunar Lander board, you have no idea
> what the current wiring of the cabinet is; Lunar Lander and Asteroids have
> some pinout difference. Check the pinouts on www.spies.com/arcade and
> double check your wiring to see if it matches that of Asteroids. Only
> after verifying this would I plug in a stock Asteroids board.

Will do that. Probably wise as I don't want to damage the working Asteroids
board when I get it. :)

> Second, the monitor could be having problems of it's own. Do standard
> maintenance on the monitor, which includes ordering and installing a cap
> kit, replacing the deflection transistors, and resoldering the connector
> pins. Do this before further testing the monitor.

This is a G05 801 - is there a cap kit or similar for this earlier model?

> Third, you didn't mention anything about the power supply; verify that all
> the voltages on the AR II board (or whatever power supply the game is
> fitted with now) is outputing the correct voltages.

Will do. There is a definite low level but noticeable hum from the PSU.

> Once you have done these things, plug in the new Asteroids board and give
> it another try. The chances of your game working now will go up by a
> factor of 10. Most likely the LL hack board is too far gone, and
> probably far less documented for repair at this point, so I'd sell/ebay it
> to recover some of your costs.

Or maybe I should remove the Asteroids mods and try and get it working as a
LL board?

BTW, the LED on the main board is also lit.

Cheers,
Phil